One of the most important service V1 VoIP provides to our reseller end users is proper emergency phone call information. In order for VoIP service users to make efficient 911 calls, certain steps need to be taken to ensure proper interconnection to emergency service members. The following are V1 VoIP’s advisories to resellers and providers to give customers proper e911 service:
1. Make sure to provide your accurate physical street address to your interconnected VoIP service provider to ensure that emergency services can quickly be dispatched to your location.
2. Be familiar with procedures for updating your address, and promptly update address information in the event of a change. If you move to another address, make sure your customers alert you so you may update that information.
3. Have a clear understanding of any limitations of your 911 service.
4. Do your customers have kids at their residence? Inform them and your babysitters and visitors about your VoIP service and its 911 limitations.
5. If your power is out or your Internet connection is down, be aware that your VoIP service may not work. Consider installing a backup power supply, maintaining a traditional phone line or having a cellular phone as a backup. Make sure that the backup phone number is properly inputted for call forwarding.
6. If you customers have questions about whether the phone service they are receiving is an interconnected VoIP service, make sure you answer their questions honestly..
For answers to your questions about VoIP in emergency situations and e911 services and limitations, please contact a member of the V1 VoIP team.